Saturday 21 May 2011

BRUNETTES BAKE HEALTHY BLONDIES.

My cousin Amy came to stay the night and we had a girly slumber party fueled by fajitas, diet coke and healthified chocolate chip blondies!
This my first attempt at gluten free baking, after looking at several recipes online we went with something chocolatey and fudgey. But These are no ordinary blondies... they have no carbs and no saturated fats... their secret ingredient... chick peas, Yes, yes... Chickpeas. Sounds bizarre but trust, you need to try it before you judge me. This healthy dessert is packed with fiber and protein and was even tastier the morning after for breakfast. 

CHOCOLATE CHIP BLONDIES
1 Tins of chick peas
1 banana
1 egg white
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup sweetener
2 tbsp peanut butter
Lotta chocolate chips
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

  • Preheat oven to 350°F /180°C, or gas mark 4. Lightly coat a baking pan with spray oil and line the bottom of the tin.
  • In a bowl, combine chick peas and bananas and blend until perfectly smooth, scraping sides often. add egg, honey, sweetener and PB and continue to blend til all ingredients are well incorporated. add 1 tsp of baking powder and chocolate chips and gently fold in.
  • Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
  • slice up and serve up. delicious warm or cold.
Dont worry, you cannot taste the chick peas at all, It tastes like a gooey denser chocolate chip banana bread. Works out 72 calories for a generous slab. GLUTEN FREE CAN TASTE GOOD!

I adapted this recipe from two... this one by Allie and you can also make them vegan if you follow this recipe by Katie.

now get mashin' them peas.

44 comments:

  1. what size tinned chickpeas do you use..? 375g?

    ReplyDelete
  2. my tins said 240g each... when drained.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of sweetener do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used splenda granulated sweetner

    ReplyDelete
  5. chocolate-covered katie21 May 2011 at 18:08

    aww so excited you tried bean blondies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw you over at CCK and had to check out your recipe! I'm going to make mine tomorrow! I'm using cannelini beans (cuz the calories are significantly lower) and I'm going to use some coconut butter cuz i just made a fresh batch! can't wait! hope they turn out as good as urs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEAH DO IT! there are sooooo many possibilities! I'm now going to get me some cannelini beans...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the addition of chocolate chips! I need to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What size pan do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look so yummy!! I love it!!

    u are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh thank you katie!!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh and Mariel the pan i used is around 8x12 i think xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg these look so naughty! cant wait to try these.

    oh and please may i ask a question?
    what is the mesurments of the 72 calorie slab, and does that include the choc chips on top?

    ReplyDelete
  14. My pan is either 8x8 or 9x13...hmmm I'm not sure what one to use and how many choc chips. One cup, more...less?? I can't wait to make these??

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look yummy, and chick peas? Who would have thought. Can't wait to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi, the 72 calorie piece is around 2 inches squared and includes all the choccy chips seen in the photo.

    ...and i'd go for the 8x8 as a thicker blondies better than one thats too thin. happy baking!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. where do you get the 72 calories from? I'm getting like 160 when I add it up. I'm pretty new to this but I'm using myfitnesspal and that's what it says.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My can of chick peas is a 540 ML can(it doesnt say how many grams it is)- its pretty big, do you think one can will be enough? or should I still do 2 cans, do you think it will taste weird if there is too much chick peas

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made these yesterday and they were great! instead of using chick peas, I used cannellini beans because they have fewer calories. I think you may have added up the calories wrong though. Even with the lowest possible calorie ingredients, a pretty small piece turns out to be around 80 calories. I even used a very small amount of all the ingredients. Thanks for the recipe though, its great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ahhh im glad you loved them!

    i have calculated them again and i get the same result! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. So (2) 240g cans of chick peas? Or just one 240g can?

    And btw, you are SUPER adorable. Hah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just wanted to tell you that I made these last night for Passover and they went down a treat. Thanks for the recipie!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just put mine in the oven. . They were lucky they made it in there as I couldn't stop eating the batter! Can't wait to try the end result. Thanks for a great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just a heads up, the beans, bananas, and honey all contain carbs. So this isn't entirely carb free... but its close! I just make these with carob chips and they were delicious! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for answering my question that i was about to ask..i wanted to try making these with carob chips..cant wait to try them out

      Delete
  25. I used the whole egg and added 1/4 cup almond flour to compensate. I made them in a 9x13 pan, they came out quite thin, maybe just under a 1/2", at first I thought this was a mistake and that I should have used 8x8 pan... Anyway, I cut them into tiny oblongs, 2' long and 1' wide. They were very dainty and delicate, and yummy!

    ReplyDelete