Makes 8 lollipops
- 250g (9oz) of Madeira sponge cake, bought or homemade. (For my gluten free version I used crumbled rusks!)
- 100g (4oz) two large tablespoons of chocolate spread.
- 100g (4oz) your choice of milk chocolate or dark or white, whichever you want to coat your finished pop with.
- A few drops of flavouring essence (you could try lemon, vanilla, coffee, almond again its your choice really, whatever takes your fancy.)
- wooden skewers
- break and Crumble the cake or rusk into a bowl.
- Add the chocolate spread to bind the cake crumb, this gives a 'cookie dough' like texture to the finished pop.
- Mix it all together with a spoon then your hands, it's ready when it looks like play dough.
- Take even amounts of the dough, roll into balls a bit smaller than a golf ball. Pop the balls into the fridge, on a prepared tray/container lined with silicone paper, to firm up.
- Melt the chocolate on a medium setting in the microwave, regulary checking and stirring to vaoid burning the chocolate.
- take the balls from the fridge, dip the wooden sticks in chocolate and really get it stuck into the ball.
- Return the balls to the fridge to let the chocolate set.
- Remove from the fridge once again and coat / roll each ball in the melted chocolate of choice, add sprinklings. Return to the fridge to set.
For presentation, as they were a gift, when set, I put my finished cake pops in cellophane bags and add curled ribbon for a finishing touch.